Most people, when they are sick, think of going to their doctor and expect to receive a prescription for some tablet, capsule or injection that will, allegedly, make them better again. Naturopaths who follow this procedure are, too a large extent, following this medical model, albeit with herbal or homoeopathic remedies instead of drug remedies.
In fact there is a more appropriate procedure to follow and it involves the following steps. Many of them, certainly the early ones, you can do for yourself.
- Eliminate harmful substances and practices from your lifestyle.
You would not try to spring clean the house while dirty flood water was still pouring though it, you would first stop or block the input.
- Improve your basic diet.
You cannot get well if tyour supply of nutrients is inadequate, and the best possible way to get your nutrients is from the diet you eat.
- Check for nutritional deficiencies.
It is difficult to-day, with the foods of commerce, no matter how good or how ‘organic’, and when socialising in other people’s homes and in restaurants, to obtain all the nutrients you need.
- Start on a detox program to eliminate the toxins already stored in your body.
- When and if appropriate use individual nutrients as therapeutic agents, such as in the use of large doses of vitamin C to ward off a viral infection.
- Then, and often only then, consider the use of herbal and homoeopathic remedies.
However in acute situations these remedies can be used, short term, in conjunction with the first four steps.
- In parallel with these steps attention should be paid to mental and emotional issues that almost invariably accompany physical health problems, at some level.